Founded in 1954 as W. Gary-Wright Electronics of Canada
to assemble crystal products for various military
communications programs, the Company name was later
changed to Croven Ltd., an acronym for the products then
(for quartz crystals) & OVEN (for the temperature
controlled ovens developed for use with the crystals in precision ../applications).
By 1959, Croven’s crystal and oven products were in
large demand and the facility at 500 Beech Street was
erected. At that time, due to the large demand for oven
products, the Company founded Ovenaire in
Charlottesville, VA, which went on to become a world
leader in the manufacture of precision ovens and
ovenized oscillators. The Company was further expanded
in 1963 when the Filtaire division was established to
support the growing demand for specialized crystal
In 1967, the Companies were purchased by Walter Kidde &
Co. of Belleville, NJ. By then Croven had grown
significantly and the Whitby facility had been expanded
to its current 25,000 square feet.
In 1975, the Croven Ltd founded Croven Europe (later to
be known as Dantronic), a wholly owned subsidiary in
Denmark to manufacture crystal products for the European
By 1979, Croven Ltd had moved all manufacturing of
oscillators and hybrid modules to its other locations
and the Whitby operation from that time onward has
focused exclusively on the design and development of
precision quartz crystal resonators. The name was then
changed to Croven Crystals Ltd to better reflect our
product and market orientation.
Since that time our name has changed several times as
the Company went through a variety of management and
organizational changes, however the commitment to
manufacturing the finest crystals for the most demanding
../applications has been unwavering.
In 2006, the company was acquired by Wenzel Associates,
Inc and the CROVEN CRYSTALS name has been resurrected in
recognition of our origins and long tradition of serving
the crystal resonator market.
Copyright © 2009 - Croven Crystals,
Wenzel International, Inc.
500 Beech Street · Whitby, Ontario, Canada L1N 5S5 · Phone (905) 668-3324 · Fax